Thursday, March 25, 2010

LA Marathon

After all, I decided not to run the LA Marathon this year. It wasn't really my decision. My body did the deciding for me. Joint and knee aches aside, I have been battling other symptoms, including dizziness, lightheadedness, headache,and other ailments that I won't mention here because they can not be explained easily. Whether these symptoms are or aren't resulting from the exhaustion from the Pasadena Marathon, I don't know. In the meantime, I am waiting to go to different doctors, get my results, and in general, have mini panic attacks trying to figure out what's wrong with me.

BUT, I did go watch the LA Marathon from the 23 mile marker on Sunday. Standing around was tiring, but I enjoyed cheering on people - mostly strangers - and reminding everyone that despite the fact that roughly 24,000 other people are doing it too, participating in a marathon is completely CRAZY. I hope my makeshift "WTF 23 miles?!" sign helped - And I did get a few chuckles.

After more than three hours of watching, I started heading back home when I ran into 2 of my neighbors, who thinking I was running that day, had a bag of goodies waiting for me. How sweet! I'm glad I ran into them and hung around a little longer (despite my headache) because that's when I saw some other Leggers including Liz, John and Sharon. Good job!

Congratulations to all who did the Marathon. What I enjoyed most about the LA Marathon last year was that much more than an individual accomplishment, it is an awesome ass-kicking community event. You may be running/walking alone, but you are part of an amazing group. Crazy, but amazing.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you didn't do it -- but it sounds like listening to your body was a good thing.

    ReplyDelete