Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Injury!

So on Saturday, I made a very early running date - probably a little too early - 5:15 a.m. I was watching the Pearl Jam documentary on PBS the night before, and perhaps too excited from that, I missed my alarm at 4:00 a.m. I got up half an hour later, and by the time my running buddy and I connected, it was about 5:45 a.m. The point here is that I didn't stretch or warm up.

Even after we started, I requested we stop around mile 2 and stretch, but that didn't stop my calf muscle from rebelling. Around mile 4.3, I felt a sudden pain, and even heard an audible noise - like a mattress coil coming undone. I pulled over. True, I was pushing the pace a little, but I blame it on not warming up. We walked the 4.3 miles back. I was sad and worried the whole time. We stopped for ice, and with Adriana's help and the help of my headband and an extra plastic bag, secured a bag of ice to my calf. Now, nearly a week later, my recovery has progressed a lot with massage and PT, but working out (not running just yet) causes my calf to tense up.

And yet....nothing will stop me from participating in the New York Marathon! What would a running life be without injury? It would be fantasy. Now I remember a Runner's World article I read a while ago that featured an elite runner who trained himself - he warmed-up and cooled-down for 45 whole minutes each. If I can get a 15 minute warm up, I'll be happy.

Spectating at Rock n' Roll Los Angeles on Sunday.

See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment