Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Runner's Almanac - 4.8 miles tempo +hill

This end to daylight savings is great so far. I wake up at 5:00am, and it sure is easier than how waking up at 5:00am used to feel. Put on my new Zensah leg sleeves, gloves, and even my reflection belt that I wrap diagonally around my upper body. The combination makes me look like a soccer goalie. I open the back door to see how dark it really is. It's 5:30am and although dawn has not hit, the sky isn't dark - more of a dark blue. I take off the reflective gear and head out. I do a tempo run today, with a regular to comfortable pace for the first 15 minutes and then I take it up a notch for the next 15. I decide to veer on a rather long hill, probably about 300 m. The view from the top is beautiful. Now that dark has changed to dawn, I'm really glad I came up this hill, despite that brief swallow of nausea. I jog back down, passing a woman doing hill repeats in the middle of the road, and complete just under 5 miles for today.

I liked the Zensah sleeves. The compression isn't too tight to make it uncomfortable and it adds some warmth on a cold morning. With 18 miles scheduled on Saturday, I may just get in a couple miles in on Thursday this week and that's it.

Congratulations to all who finished the New York Marathon. And congrats to men's winner and UCLA alum Meb Keflezighi!

No comments:

Post a Comment