Monday, August 24, 2009

Runner's Almanac - Day 9

Today's mileage: 4.5 miles outside in the early evening. This took me about 55 minutes. Note to self: Add a Garmin watch to your wish list for Santa. It makes it much easier to remember exactly what time it was when you started.

I enjoy running this time of day. The sun holds on to its final sky-high prominence but with a honey dripping slow downward turn, met with the cool breeze of dusk. It's a little slice of heaven when you're running on your favorite leg of your favorite route. At this time of day, my run is a combination of fun, hardwork, and peace. I remind myself often how fortunate I am to be able to use my legs in this way and, as runners, we have to be thankful everyday that we can. That being said, I've been noticing some pain in my shins recently. So a massage, or more calf strengthening exercises may be in order. I'll keep you posted.

By the way, if you haven't tried Gu yet during your runs, take them with you if you plan on running 40 minutes or more. Gu is, well, like energy-fueled goo. It's easy to carry and no chewing is required. Recommended 15 minutes before your run, and every 45 minutes in. I had half a tri-berry Gu about 40 minutes in and it helped. Find it at your local running store. Or if you go to REI, you get 20% off if you by in large quantities.

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment