Sunday, September 13, 2009

Runner's Almanac - Day 29

I used to get together with my friend Salome on Sundays when we were preparing for the LA Marathon. So since I had to miss running with the group yesterday, it was nice to reclaim my Sundays as a day to run long. The cool weather this weekend has been ideal. You can sweat all you want but you may never show for it, except for the redness in your face and the determination in your eyes. My goal was to run 10 miles today to keep on track with the group. I decided on my course in advance - A 10 mile expansion of my usual neighborhood route. Now I have not run 10 miles in a long time, so I felt the difference between 8 miles and 10 miles easily in my body. I just started to feel tired- not hallucinogenic - believe me, that'll come later - but just the beginnings of fatigue. Mental games are useful when your body isn't too happy - Mind over matter, one foot in front of the other, you're one stop closer.

My favorite part was running past the farmer's market - Once, twice, three times. Fruit, olives, flowers, coffee, arts and crafts - It's nice to look at something to change up the scenery. Next time, I'll by a flower and stick it in my fuel belt, but that'll mean I would have to stop. If I time it right, I could stop exactly at one of my one-minute walk breaks.

Afterward, I determined that the route was actually more like 10.6 miles which I finished in an average pace of 11:20. Now I'm icing my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment