Friday, September 25, 2009

Runner's Almanac - Day 41, Water

It's already been 41 days since starting this blog? Wow, time flies when you're running and writing. I'm resting up today for our 12 mile long run tomorrow. Constantly reminding myself to drink plenty of water, before the afternoon. I've noticed that I don't drink as much as I should which can leave me dehydrated on run days. I remember to do this most of the morning, but realize well into the afternoon that I still have water left in my canteen, and that I have replaced my H20 intake with coffee. According to a nutritionist who spoke to La Leggers a few weeks ago, the appropriate daily water intake is measured by taking your body weight, swapping out the unit of pounds for ounces, and dividing that by half. The Mayo Clinic website addresses daily water intake here, and mentions the "8 x 8 rule", eight 8oz glasses a day. This roughly equates to the previous equation, if you weigh about 130 lbs. The Mayo website says that although this is not a scientific rule, it is a a good rule of thumb. They recommend more fluid intake for men than women, probably based on the fact that average weight in men is higher.

Happy drinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment